Cleaning an Ergonomic chair at regular intervals is important for its maintenance
People doing desk jobs spend their major day sitting on chairs, whether working from home or from the office. Sitting for long hours on chair is tiring and also cause pain in back, neck and shoulder. This can also end up in diseases like arthritis, obesity, or some chronic health problem. Taking care of sitting posture and ensuring proper support to lumbar, neck and arms is important to avoid stiffness in muscles and keeping work-life active and healthy. This generates the need for an ergonomic chair.
Ergonomic chairs are scientifically designed to provide support to the back. It especially helps in maintaining the natural ‘S’ shape of the spinal cord. Also, these chairs give rest to the neck, arms, and legs. It makes sitting for longs hours comfortable and avoids the risk of health issues. It also encourages the natural movement of body, and a healthy lifestyle is a reason of happiness as well.
With its numerous benefits, it has been commonly adopted. An ergonomic chair must have at least below listed features in it:
- Seat Height adjustment
- Seat Depth adjustment
- Lumbar (lower back) support
The study says that the most sellable product of Ergonomic furniture is an ergonomic chair. Understanding the need and benefits, it is imperative that working or sitting for long hours cannot be imagined without an ergonomic chair.
How often should an Ergonomic Chair be cleaned?
Ergonomic chairs are expensive and therefore proper care should be taken for value of money. They must be cleaned at least once a month and also in the below circumstances:
- Accidently if anything is spilled over the chair.
- If you find any issue in rolling of wheels.
- If any friction is observed in the movement of the chair or while adjusting it.
How to Clean an Ergonomic Chair?
An ergonomic chair has multiple features and each area of it operates in a different way. Maintenance and care for respective angles or areas are required so that chair remains effective. For example, upholstery, back support, wheels, arms, and legs.
Care Tag on an ergonomic chair must be read before starting the process of cleaning it up. Let us look at the ways of cleaning an ergonomic chair:
- Immediate Removal of Spill and Stain: Any spill-over or stain found on the upholstery should be immediately cleaned before it is settled on it. Cleaning can be done either by a soft cloth or a paper towel. Take some detergent (or any good mild solution) and little water in a container and then slightly dip the cloth or paper towel into it. Further, gently rubbing the affected area and trying multiple times to completely remove the spill or stain from it. Every time the cloth or paper towel is to be washed or dipped into the container and this should be tried until the stain lightens or is removed.
It is to be noted here that very little water can be applied for cleaning so that it does not go inside the fabric of an ergonomic chair. Alcohol can also be tried if the stain still does not go, it will surely not worsen it.
It is to mention that there are cleaning substances available in powdered form as well. Usage instructions to be read before applying them.
- New and Attractive Look: Vacuum cleaner to be used to remove the dust over the upholstery. The soft brush underneath of a vacuum cleaner won’t damage or scratch the fabric of the ergonomic chair and it will clear the dust or dirt over the seat, back and arms. The suction of a vacuum cleaner should be light and to be done in an easy way at all times.
After dry cleaning, now it is time to use some good mild soap and water for ultimate shine on your ergonomic chair. Make a liquid solution with soap and dip a clean cloth into it and then soak the cloth well. Now clean the back, arms, and seat properly with the cloth for a new look of your ergonomic chair.
In the end, wipe the back, arms, and seat of the ergonomic chair with a dry cloth to ensure that water does not stay on it and it is nicely cleaned.
- Smooth Rolling of Wheels: To clean the wheels, the first ergonomic chair needs to be flipped upside down and if possible, disassemble the wheels.
Wheels can be detached either by just pulling them or with the help of a screwdriver.
Wheels can be washed with liquid soap and then water can be wiped with a dry cloth. Then remove any particle stuck in between the wheel and its cover. This can also be done with a sharp instrument, similar to a knife.
After cleaning, wheels to be fixed again and checked if rolling smoothly for better functioning.
- Arms and Legs: In the end, arms and legs can be properly cleaned. As mostly they are of plastic or metal, therefore usage of water and soap is okay on them. After washing, wipe them with a dry cloth.
Ergonomics has become a part of our life and especially the need for the chair is very clear for desk job users or for easily prolonged sittings. Long hour usage of an ergonomic chair might deteriorate it and therefore it is necessary to know the right way of maintaining them.
Cleaning an ergonomic chair at least once a month is important to make it look good and also for its long life; But, instructions should be checked before that!